Help with erotic walking canes and dating handles please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Charlottehains

Help with erotic walking canes and dating handles please

Post by Charlottehains »

Hi,

I am an erotic writer, I am doing so research into these canes to see how old they might be and where they where made. They have some marks on them but I am not sure what if anything they mean, totally confused that's me. Thanks for your time in looking

Charlotte x

Charlottehains

Re: Help with erotic walking canes and dating handles please

Post by Charlottehains »

Maybe this will help too

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Charlotte, welcome to the forum.
To me the marks appear not to be hallmarks for silver unless pseudo marks. Could the handle be plated?
For German pseudo marks see:

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

Best,

Oel XXX
Charlottehains

Post by Charlottehains »

Hi Oel,

That's very interesting thank you, I don't know if they are plated, I found them in a junk shop Italy, along with lots of other erotic memorabilia. I thought they would be fun to do a post on them. I know they are metal and there does seem to have a gold colour as well as the tarnish you get with silver, they have been well used. They are quite heavy, I have never seen anything like them before, but there is a simular bronze one for sale in an auction site and I have also sent them a message today asking if they know more about the sticks.
I will now research other marks as you have suggested in the conversation thanks for that I really don't know what I am looking for but when I get the bit between my teeth I can't let go without a good struggle at it anyway...

Charlotte
buckler

Post by buckler »

Fascinating item.
I suspect that they are pseudo marks, but the cane may well be silver . The "three castle" marks looks like a copy of the Exeter town mark, and the top mark looks like the Lion Passant slightly altered .

My suspicion is that they are mid to late Victorian .

If Georgian and silver I think they would have been assay marked. The Georgians were not inhibited over such things. I've seen a phallus of immense proportion in solid silver, with full London marks, including a duty George . Unfortunately I do not have a photo of it . And could not afford to buy it !

If Victorian it is unlikely that any assay office would have been prepared to test and mark it .

It could also be modern, from the 1920 - 1940 period.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”