PRETTY SURE THIS IS SILVERPLATE BUT AGE AND COUNTRY ??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MP1

PRETTY SURE THIS IS SILVERPLATE BUT AGE AND COUNTRY ??

Post by MP1 »

Hi,

I have this lovely letter opener which I am pretty sure is silver-plate, although I am not sure which country it is from and a little flakey on date.

I would guess c1910 and either from France or Germany. I have no idea about the maker either. If you guys could lend some assistance that would be great.

Many thanks

MP1

Re: PRETTY SURE THIS IS SILVERPLATE BUT AGE AND COUNTRY ??

Post by MP1 »

This has been posted for over 2 weeks with no reply. I appreciate you guys must be busy but is this mark so obscure nobody can help??
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Please be aware that the members of this forum share their knowledge voluntarily and for free. It is entirely up to them if they choose to answer any questions, or not.

If for whatever reason you require the answer as a matter of urgency, perhaps you may consider a paid appraiser?

Trev.
MP1

Post by MP1 »

Hi Trev,

Apologies for my comments, on reflection I do come across as impatient. I simply thought my request for help had been overlooked. Your site has been very helpful to me on many ocassions. Although I have never used the forum before so I wasn't sure how things actually work. Thank you for your acknowledgement. I am in no rush and I have noted your comments. I will keep them in mind when making future posts. Any help identify the particulars of this object would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

I thought the mark on the left looked like a squirrel so I googled "squirrel silver mark" and clicked a link for an inquiry from this forum itself. Someone suggested the squirrel mark on that specific piece(images wouldn't load so I wasn't able to compare it with yours) maybe "S.J. Levy & Company, Birmingham, England".

Upon further googling "S.J. Levy & Company" I came across a website which showed the squirrel mark for that company and it looks similar but not exactly like yours. They did silver plated tableware and cigarette cases. My guess is that a squirrel mark that similar may have some connection to this company but may be part of a image or brand update.
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

Now that I think about it squirrel marks might be more common than I realize since the hair of squirrels in pretty much silverish. I am totally new to this field but hope I can help.
paulh
contributor

Re: Petty sure this is silverplate but age and country

Post by paulh »

Here is the same mark. It is on a mustard spoon. It is not silver plated, which might suggest that the blade on the knife above is silver with a plated handle.

robert12
contributor

Post by robert12 »

I have a heavy serving spoon with "zilfa pleet" and 90 which I take to be the thickness of the silver applied.
If you type in "zilfa pleet 90" on Google you will find some images with your same animal among them.
I am no expert on Dutch silver plate but these marks seem to point in that direction.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

From 1930 Voorschoten Zilverfabrieken, made silver plated utensils and cutlery under the name Zilfa pleet (silver plate).
Indeed a Google search will reveal more.

Oel.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”