Suit of Armor Arm holding dagger

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silvermind

Suit of Armor Arm holding dagger

Post by Silvermind »

I came across this interesting mark on the front of a plate. There is also a small hall mark of a bird on a branch. If anyone has any knowledge of this marking your help would be awesome. Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Suit of Armor Arm holding dagger

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The mark shown is a crest from a family Coat-of-Arms. It identifies a former owner of the piece.

Trev.
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

Thank you, Trev. That is really cool. I will try to learn about the hallmark located on the back of the plate by searching 925-1000.com, but if I post it here maybe you would know it. Thank you for helping.
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

I am unable to find this mark on the website so I am hoping someone maybe able to assist me on my quest. The crest is etched on the front of the plate and the hallmark is on the back. I was thinking it could possibly be Portuguese or UK based off of the crest. If anyone has any advice or knowledge on the marks your help we be wholly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

I just wanted to mention that the hallmark looks like a rooster looking to the right with a feather on its head blowing to the left.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Are there no other marks?
The rooster is reminiscent of ``GALLIA`` silver-plate mark, but again, more marks are expected.
Let`s wait for more answers.
Regards
Silvermind

Post by Silvermind »

Thank you for your response. There are no other marks besides the crest on the front and this bird looking hallmark on the back, which I'm now thinking could be a peacock or some other bird. Thanks again

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Anstie

Post by Anstie »

Hi Silvermind,

I have the same mark on the end of a silver ladle with initials engraved above which look like a WJC but it really hard to read. From the hallmarks on the back of the ladle : RC which looks to me like Richard Crossley, London 1804; the remaining hallmarks have an L identifiable as the period between 1805 and 1810.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”