Unknown/ Interesting Swedish Silver Marks or other???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chucktheaggie

Unknown/ Interesting Swedish Silver Marks or other???

Post by chucktheaggie »

Hello,

I inherited this piece from my Aunt who traveled around the world. Think it is Swedish in origin, but have no idea of it's identity or composition. Weight is like Pewter (or Gold), but do not know for sure. Please help me out. Thank You!!!
Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/Obny0
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Unknown/ Interesting Swedish Silver Marks or other???

Post by Qrt.S »

Well, your plate is not silver and it seems to be made in Germany probably of some metal alloy, German silver? It could be silver plated.
Most likely the abbreviation SAL stands for Svenska Amerika Linien. This shipping company was founded in December 1914 under the name Rederiaktiebolaget Sverige-Nordamerika, beginning ocean liner service from Gothenburg to New York in 1915.In 1925 the company changed its name to Svenska Amerika Linien / Swedish American Line. The plate is probably a piece "evacuated" from a ship by a passenger, who knows?
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello and yes, this is the logo of the Swedish American Line. Maker is Krupp Berndorf from Austria. The later pieces of the SAL were mostly made by Gense from Sweden, believe this to be an earlier piece, very roughly from the 1930ies. Regards, Bahner
chucktheaggie

Post by chucktheaggie »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE- Qrt.S AND Bahner, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
- CHUCKTHEAGGIE

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”