Silver Canteen, Thomas McLellan, Castle Place Belfast c.1911

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
johnnytype2

Silver Canteen, Thomas McLellan, Castle Place Belfast c.1911

Post by johnnytype2 »

my wife has inherited a substantial and complete canteen of Silver cutlery in its original case in mint condition, i don't think it was ever used. Its age would be pre WW1 we think, but no nothing of the marks if someone could help. The information we have is below. We are trying to verify the authenticity from the marks.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

THOMAS McLELLAN 8, Castle Place, Belfast Thomas McLellan was noted in 1909 as a 'Cutler & Optician', and in 1922 as a 'Cutler & Silversmith', both of 8, Castle Place, Belfast.The 1901 Irish Census reveals Thomas McLellan as a 16 year old, Belfast born Salesman. He is the son of 51 year old, Scottish born Thomas, who was recorded as a Cutler, and a widower. Thomas jnr. has one brother, Alexander 7 years old, and two sister, Sarah 13, and Jeanie 10 years old. They reside at 51 Antrim Road, Belfast and have one live-in servant. The family's religion was recorded as Presbyterian.

The 1911 Irish Census reveals Thomas jnr. is now the head of the family. He is described as Cutler Shopman Master. The family now reside at 6, Cliftonville Avenue, Belfast.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Silver Canteen, Thomas McLellan, Castle Place Belfast c.1911

Post by silvermakersmarks »

McLellan would have been the retailer of this electroplated set. I cannot confirm for certain that you have identified the correct McLellan but it does seem very likely. The manufacturer of the set is Harrison Brothers & Howson. For some examples of their various trade marks see here. "A1" is an indication of the plating quality, but as it is applied by the manufacturer it is not an objective measure.

Dating the set accurately is difficult but it dates from the late 19th or very early 20th century.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the Forum.

I concur with Phil's observations.

Is there something in your wife's family history that ties this McLellan to Thomas McLellan of Belfast? Not having noted a mark for Thomas McLellan before, it would be nice to know for certain that this mark was his. What do you think the mark next to the 'McLELLAN' is? From the image it looks like maybe a dog's head or perhaps a hammer, but I suspect you will be able to see it somewhat clearer in the flesh.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... LAN#p83897

Trev.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

excellent info thanks and very fast.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

yes, i was able to confirm the set came from Thomas McLellan, it was bought in 8 castle place Thomas's shop as a wedding present to my wife's great great grand mother, and the set indeed was from Harrison Bros & Howson of sheiffeld deonted by the crown hallmark. The set is of the best quality silver plate.

So the McLellan mark must have been stamped in belfast, the wedding was 1911 so the set is at least 1911 possibly 1910, i think he was 26 at the time.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

sorry i fogot on closer inspection the mark beside his name does look like a dogs or horses head.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for supplying these valuable details, it is appreciated.

Yes, it is possible that Thomas McLellan marked the items, but it is also possible, perhaps more likely, that his mark was applied at the works of Harrison Brothers & Howsen. By this date the application of a customers' mark, in return of larger orders, was commonplace.

Thanks again.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”