Henniger / Alpacca query

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
georgeb1971

Henniger / Alpacca query

Post by georgeb1971 »

Hi all, apologies if this post is in the wrong section...
I've come across some cutlery that belonged to a relative of mine who left Germany during the 2nd World War. I'm trying to work out how old they are and where they originated from. I'm pretty sure their not silver from the info I found on the internet but I'm hoping that someone could enlighten me a bit further regarding their make and age.
Image Image
There are several spoons that are stamped with HENNIGER 60
There are several forks stamped with ALPACCA

Thank you in advance..

George
Bahner
contributor

Re: Henniger / Alpacca query

Post by Bahner »

Hello, Henniger, founded in 1824, was one of the first European makers of holloware and flatware from "German silver" (also known as Alpakka, Alpacca, Packfong, Alfenide etc.), an alloy which does not contain any silver, but looks like silver. Henniger changed ownership several times, the production line for holloware went to the Juerst company from Berlin, last known owner of the flatware production line was a Hermann Zielke from Berlin, who aquired it around 1910/1920 and continued to use the name of Henniger as a mark. I would date your pieces, very roughly, around 1900/1920. It is not known when production of Henniger flatware ceased, probably in the 1930ies. Henniger originally also ran a chain of stores where the company sold its stuff and stuff from other makers. Stores were in Berlin, Breslau, Hamburg, Leipzig, Dresden among others. Last existing store was in Leipzig, which after the foundation of communist East Germany moved to democratic West Germany. Who knows, maybe it still exists ? As to the meaning of the "60", see here

http://www.925-1000.com/a_platenumbers.html

Regards, Bahner
georgeb1971

Re: Henniger / Alpacca query

Post by georgeb1971 »

Hi Bahner,
Thank you very much for the information. It does make sense as my relative lived in Breslau and left as the war started.
Thanks again
George

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”