Candlesticks Without Markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joburn88

Candlesticks Without Markings

Post by joburn88 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've hit a wall in the search for info about these candlesticks.

After scrolling through dozens of pages of different google image keyword combinations, I figured I'd see if anyone here is farmiliar enough with the design or style to point me in the right direction.

I don't see any marks whatsoever so I don't even know where to begin, but I have to assume they're antiques, since the other Sterling & Silver Plated items that came along with them are from the 18th 19th and 20th centuries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance:
AG2012
contributor

Re: Candlesticks Without Markings

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
One of the possibilities is Austria-Hungary or Germany baroque revival, i.e. late Biedermeier or mid Victorian. Repousse décor is consistent with Biedermeier ``Rose silver`` ("Wiener Rosensilber"), very popular at the time. Nonetheless, I have British mid Victorian silver with the same decor.
Take a look here:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28960

The provenance is also of some importance, Austria-Hungary or Germany origin is more likely if candlesticks emerged within that region than thousands of miles away.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Candlesticks Without Markings

Post by AG2012 »

Search for Wiener Kerzenleuchter (Vienna candlestics).
Simple form without repousse is consistent with early Biedermeier (elements of Empire) repousse roses appeared mid 19th century.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”