Hallmark & Name id help GMCo EPPAT.1916 Banquet Plate

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
a_firemans_flame

Hallmark & Name id help GMCo EPPAT.1916 Banquet Plate

Post by a_firemans_flame »

I have this demitasse spoon and am hoping someone can help me with the hallmark and the maker. I have spent hours searching the net and have come up empty. There is a hallmark that to me looks like an anchor inside a chevron shape, and then it reads GMCo EPPAT.1916 Banquet Plate. Thanks in advance for any help.

2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

The anchor in a shield is a silverplate mark used by the Gorham Corporation, Providence, Rhode Island. Their trademark Banquet was used on a lot of silverplate items.

Pat.
a_firemans_flame

Post by a_firemans_flame »

Pat, thanks for the info. I had thought maybe Gorham, but always found the anchor in a shield with two other hallmarks (a lion and a G) and nowhere did I find Gorham shortened to GMCo. It's good to know I was on the right track.

I really appreciate your input on this...thanks again!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

http://www.925-1000.com/american-mfg5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traintime
contributor

Re: Hallmark & Name id help GMCo EPPAT.1916 Banquet Plate

Post by Traintime »

The item pictured may have been used for commercial services and appears to have the type of uniquely elaborate "B" monograms used by one of the several Biltmore Hotel locations. Gorham's word mark "Banquet Plate" may be a reference to a level of plating supplied for banquet services (large hotels often ordered a "banquet" supply of china in addition to their regular service to cater large gatherings). International Silver used a "B.P." mark on similarly commercial-supply wares.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The pattern above looks very similar to the so-named "Commodore Variation" of 1917. The Commodore and Biltmore were sister hotels in New York City (Manhattan proper).
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

R. Wallace also used the word mark "BANQUET PLATE" on select commercial ware (from Falmouth c. 1914- samples).

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”