Spoon Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
plumblover101

Spoon Identification

Post by plumblover101 »

I have zero experience with all of this, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
Got this spoon from my Mother-In-Law, was not with a set but with a large collection of sterling silverware. I'm not sure if this one is even sterling silver as it is a different color - more coppery and tarnished than the rest.
The mark looks to me like a "HO1", but it's teeny.
My BIGGEST question is what on earth the little man on the top represents! He seems to be holding a glass and... a bottle? We had a few chuckles over what it could possibly be in his right hand...

Any insight would be great! If not, no worries, but I figured it was worth a shot!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Spoon Identification

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please post a large close-up of the marks.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Re: Spoon Identification

Post by oel »

Hi,

Indeed we need enhanced images of all marks. It could be a Dutch silver ornamental spoon, I believe the little man holding a wine carafe in his right hand and a wine glass in the left. Symbolic for; Als de wijn is in de man is de wijsheid in de kan. / When the wine is in, the wit is out.. I do not believe the little man to be a replica of Paul McCarthy's Santa Claus (2001) in Rotterdam. Santa caused quite a stir.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/paul ... anta-claus
Please check your spoon for a little sword mark or other little marks. could the maker's mark read; HO.4 ?

Cheers,

Peter

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”