Czech Silver Bowl? Soldier-in-Helmet ??? Stag/Buck

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sierraMadre

Czech Silver Bowl? Soldier-in-Helmet ??? Stag/Buck

Post by sierraMadre »

I am fairly certain that this piece is silver, I just have not been able to confirm the hallmarks.

If not silver, i would guess that it is very heavily silver-plated pewter.

There are dings and scratches all over this piece, it has been polished half to death, and the only thing that remains under all of these dings and scratches is a shiny reflective metal.

The metal is quite malleable as well. You could easily crush this bowl with your bare hands, even though the walls of it are quite thick.

I just hope it's not lead I have been rubbing and playing with for the past few hours :P I doubt it though, because the piece only weighs 18 ounces.

Here is a closeup of the hallmarks:

That looks like a soldier with a helmet on, a small i and a large T, and a deer with horns to me.

6175 underneath the marks as well.

The typography on the 6175 leads me to believe it was made within the past 100 years.

That deer on my hallmark looks incredibly similar to the current czech silver hallmarks:

If it is czech though, why are there no numbers beside the deer's head?

Does anyone know where I can find historical czech marks?

Here is a shot of the bowl itself.

Thanks for reading!
dolpheus
contributor

Re: Czech Silver Bowl? Soldier-in-Helmet ??? Stag/Buck

Post by dolpheus »

Hello,
absolutely not czech (czechoslovak) hallmark. Suppose silver plated, but also these marks are unknown to me.
Czech hallmarks are always raised, not pressed. (and it is chamois, not deer).
Here original CSSR mark:

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
As already said, those marks are NOT Czech.
I think it`s not solid silver.Not lead, either - possibly pewter. Silver is much harder than pewter (about 90% of tin in the alloy easily bent and malleable).
The second mark is reminiscent of Hebrew letter H (Hei) but NOT Israeli silver mark.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Another example of the mark:

Old English Reproduction

Likely American?

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, must be American - they emerge both in US and Canada as ``Knight`` ``T`` and ``Elk`` and``Old English Reproduction``.
tab

Post by tab »

Hi,

Did you ever find out what the hallmark was? I have a dish with this hallmark and it has the edging just like your bowl.

Many thanks
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The "Old English Reproduction" mark has also been found on grape patterned items bearing the word mark "MAJESTIC" above with none of the other maker marks. Appears to be of decently high quality as silverplate goes.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Looking at Rainwater's references to "Majestic" (another ref. can be found in threads on this site involving the Sheriff) and noting the May Stores "Maycrest" mark, can't help but wonder if this is all upscale department store Psuedo-markings just for show.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Re-check "MAJESTIC" pieces. Both 6000-series numbers. Both "S.P. on Copper". Tray has "B.M. Mounts". Sugar has "Lead Mounts". Designs are separate and applied metal. I have doubts that they they could be pre-1930, and are probably even later.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Could this relate to Morton-Parker Ltd. of Canada (listed under Marlboro Plate) using the second mark shown for "Old English Reproduction"?: https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_M.html

I noticed an M-P Marlboro Plate item (engraved in early 1980's) included Lead Mounts. I believe I also spotted and item about a week ago marked for both Marlboro Plate and Old English Reproduction, but without the M-P name. Kind of like tracking a trail of overlapping partials.
sherylelbring

Post by sherylelbring »

I have a silver pitcher with the same three marks on it: Soldier in Helmet, letter J and Stag's head with Sheffield Reproduction below it and the number 12175 below that. I don't seem to have the option to post a photo in this reply. The pitcher has the same grapes and leaves pattern as your bowl around the middle and I haven't been able to find any information online about the marks. I bought the pitcher recently at a thrift store in Ottawa, Canada.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”