Help with marks on a spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dan2601

Help with marks on a spoon

Post by Dan2601 »

Hi all so glad I found this forum.

I have tried searching for some makers marks. All I know is they aren't silver hallmarks so must be plate.
Hope the link works for the image.

https://ibb.co/fjY5fQ

Thanks in advance
Dan
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with marks on a spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forum.

The mark, in this form, is unknown to me. Not all silverplate marks are those of the maker, often they are those of a retailer and if the retailer placed a larger enough order with a manufacturer, then it was commonplace for them to strike the retailers mark on them.

In this case the leaf-type mark may identify the maker as it was one of the marks known to be used by George Richmond Collis of Birmingham. But as with many silverplate marks, there use was often not confined to one maker. The retailer would be total guess-work, but perhaps someone like Stephen Smith & Sons of London.

Please ensure in future posts that you embed your images as very few people will click on links.

Trev.
Dan2601

Re: Help with marks on a spoon

Post by Dan2601 »

Thank you very much for your help.

I will continue to do my research based on what you've told me and try dig a little deeper. Hopefully I can find out more and with some luck you may be spot on.
As soon as I find out I will post back on here, hopefully it will be of help to someone else in the future.

Im unsure of how to embed my images as I'm using my phone to post.

I'm fairly new to the antique world, especially silver and silver plate so building my knowledge slowly.

Thanks again
Dan

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”