Marks on a gold spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
warrwykk

Marks on a gold spoon

Post by warrwykk »

Some years ago, I was digging about in an old foundation on our property in central Maine and came across a heavily tarnished spoon. Every few years I would dig it out and try to figure out the marks and clean off some of the tarnish. I had presumed that it was a silver spoon, but as the tarnish has come away, I think it is actually gold. The foundation where it was retrieved is from a home that was built around about 1811 and razed somewhere around 1890. I believe that the spoon is 18thC, but I have had no luck identifying a single one of the marks (Sun, Cross, cloud?, and Fleur de Lis). I would love any additional information.

Many thanks,

Erik
warrwykk

Re: Marks on a gold spoon

Post by warrwykk »

Can't edit my original post, but further research suggests that the spoon may actually be brass....which would make more sense for the area that it was found. Looking for plating or brass maker marks shows that makers in Birmingham used marks similar to the sun mark and the fleur de lis mark on my spoon. Not an exact match by any means, but the closest I have seen so far.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Marks on a gold spoon

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Your marks cropped and enlarged.
Pictorial marks on silver plated spoon which I cannot recognize.
Regards

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”