Silver tea pot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jml1891

Silver tea pot

Post by jml1891 »

I would appreciate some assistance with the hallmarks on this silver teapot. I suspect it was made in Sheffield in 1876 based on the J, but the crown for Sheffield looks somewhat different that others I have seen when searching online. The lion also looks different than many others for sterling items. Also stumped as to the other two symbols. One is a clover and the other looks like a harp or lyre. There is also an engraving on the side of the teapot shown in the third image. Any ideas as to what it represents? Thanks for your help!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver tea pot

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Cannot recognize the marks but they are not British (Sheffield) marks.
Very interesting, though. Possibly colonial.Let`s wait for more opinions.
regards
jml1891

Post by jml1891 »

Thanks. The teapot was bought in Great Britain if that is any help.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There is another possibility - silver plated.
Sorry, cannot recognize the marks.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The style of these marks are typical of British plater's marks, they are in a majority of cases, meaningless, and are just meant to imitate official British hallmarks.

However, in this case, there may be some clues to the maker. A shamrock and a harp contained in the marks likely suggests Irish origin. This coupled with the J·S initials points towards the possibility that these may be the marks of John Smyth of Dublin, a leading member of the trade in Ireland in the second half of the 19th century.

At this point, I'm only offering the name as a possibility and a route for further research.

The engraving on the side would be the family crest of a former owner of the teapot.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... yth#p41436

Trev.
jml1891

Post by jml1891 »

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”