Japanese Maker TSK

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Japanese Maker TSK

Post by Traintime »

Two samples of plated butter spreaders made for the United States Army Quartermaster Corps with slight variations in the pattern. The Quartermaster Museum has previously found that the "JPNZ-and number" mark is likely associated with a QMC depot in Japan (post-WWII to 1970's) and suggests these items were made for use in Officer's Clubs or other such dining venues.
The specific floral mark before TSK has not been determined, nor its' symbolic meaning in Japanese culture. However, since the plate mark EP-and encircled B seems to indicate brass, there was a firm called Tsurumi-Seiki-Kosakusho Company Ltd. of Tsurumi Yokohama Japan which made nautical related items (brass base metals)...could they be the maker?

Traintime
contributor

Re: Japanese Maker TSK

Post by Traintime »

T.S.K of Yokohama traces its' origins to 1928. During the extended WWII-era, c.1937-45, they were a designated factory engaged in manufacturing for the Imperial Japanese Navy. Still extant in some form and engaged in marine instrumentation.

For reference, the other known pattern is pictured as follows (but a different maker). A pair of plated sugar tongs is known to exist in this design with the same marks but lacking the JPNZ code:

Finally, while the encircled B may refer to brass base, it is noted that standards published for the U.S. Maritime Commission did use a "B" to designate triple plate...no standards references for USAQMC have been found yet.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I don't know a thing about the pieces in this thread, but I'd say the USAQMC stands for U S Army Quartermaster Corps.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Sorry, I see the thread was started with that information.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”