Question on Elkington Toast Rack -

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hairymaclary

Question on Elkington Toast Rack -

Post by hairymaclary »

Hi,

I have just signed up but cannot work out how to create a new post so I thought I would reply to one. It is related....

Seeking date hallmark information about an Elkington Co silver plate seven bar toast rack in what I believe to be the Monarchy Range style.

Marks on the piece are:-

B.I.S.N. Co LD which I believe to be for the British India Steam Navigation Company

Elkington Plate with a company shield logo and what looks like a date stamp of a capital C with a serif on the upper end of the letter or it could be a transverse capital G.

15569 which might be a model number.

I presume that Elkington made products for clients such as B.I.S.N. and stamped them with a corporate logo or family crest. This particular item might have been part of a passenger ship's dining service and was 'collected' by a passenger on the morning of disembarkation before scarpering into the Australian Outback where it was held in a family collection until being sold as part of a deceased estate and ultimately coming into my possession. A speculative story but an entertaining prospect.

My question is the date of the item. It looks deco in style and timeless twentieth century so may have been produced up until the end of B.I.S.N. and/or Elkington's period of operation. Any thoughts please?

Cheers!

Hairy
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Question on Elkington Toast Rack -

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The date would be 1914. See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=15955

Trev.
hairymaclary

Re: Question on Elkington Toast Rack -

Post by hairymaclary »

Hi Trev,

Thank you so much for your reply. Wow! 1914...earlier than I thought. In diagrams that I have seen of Elkington date stamps that are represented by a line drawing of an open 'four leaf clover', I was unable to translate that to a letter that appeared to be surrounded by what looked like a circle with half circles either side of the letter but it all makes sense to me now. It would be good if actual photos could be used when describing date and hallmark stamps but I guess that can be problematic given wear and tear on examples.

Once again, thank you.

Cheers!

Hairy

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”