Help with a Makers Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ECOLE

Help with a Makers Mark

Post by ECOLE »

Hi,

Does any body know who the makers mark belongs to?

Many Thanks

Eileen
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with a Makers Mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is that the only mark on the item?

See: Goldfeder Silverware Co. at: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_G.html

and: Birmingham Silver Co. at: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_B2.html

Trev.
ECOLE

Post by ECOLE »

Hi Trev,

There are no other marks that we can find on the piece. The crowns on the two examples are not quite right, the first doesn't seem to have double crosses at the apex of the crown and the second is flat across the top of the crown and missing a line on the 'head piece' ( ie where you'd put your head, can't think of a better term, no doubt there will be some hatters out there that would give it some techie term ;) )

Cheers

Eileen
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Don't have any print resources with me right now, so I can't be sure if this is another company using the old name, but Crown Silver Plate Company bracket their name with two crowns on flatware. U.S. Navy Kings pattern flatware has appeared with only the crown mark (no name, but possibly this company). The known Crown SP Co. became a subsidiary operation of American Silver, and thence Int'l. Silver after American was absorbed. Whether this firm went beyond flatware is something I can't answer right now. Any further details on the lighthouse?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Was able to re-check pieces mentioned...the crude crowns bracketing "Crown Silverplate" on flatware are a match to the crown found on US Navy pieces, but unfortunately do not match the detail of this version on the lighthouse. However, while jumping through old 1950's/60's movies and television shows, I spotted such a similar object being used as a table center-piece prop in what was supposed to be a well-off household. Looked to be around 2 feet+ height. Sorry I failed to note what the program was, but perhaps mid-century might be the era to search if there is nothing else to go on.
ECOLE

Post by ECOLE »

Traintime, Thanks for the info. It's silver plate on Brass. No other markings and good for doing weights with ;)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

No mark showing in my Rainwater (an outdated edition) for Crown Silver Co., Inc. of Brookline MA. Notes show they existed in 1936-37 and again in 1950 working in plated wares (no details). She listed some other Crown companies, but I'm not seeing any definite match.
For the noted crown mark on naval ware, it is also seen alone on a plain pattern (like Windsor style) again at the base of the handle. The American Silver related firm would seem likely with large commercial/institutional orders in the early half 1900's. (The naval topmark was plain block "U.S.N.").
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Note on Crown plate name: An 1898 inquiry brought response that Crown Silver Plate Company was no more, but that Johnson of New York was now using that mark: https://books.google.com/books?id=T3MoA ... &q&f=false

So there must be an earlier firm being referenced.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

J. W. (no actual name yet) began his early career at Babcock on John Street in the city. After Babcock ceased in 1894, the works somehow ends up in Port Jervis under Knickerbocker, and they sometimes have a crown in their mark. Additionally, they seem to control the (??1904-?) brand of Monarch Silver Co. New York (in the city) which also uses a crown symbol. Perhaps the extinct Crown Silver Plate Company is somewhere in this mess, but nothing places J. W. working later with Babcock, Knickerbocker, or Monarch.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”