Rose Silver Co. Quadruple Teapot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Midwest Barn

Rose Silver Co. Quadruple Teapot

Post by Midwest Barn »

This teapot came from my grandparent's basement and I was hoping to learn more about the manufacturer, Rose Silver Co., but I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know where or when it originated? The mark is faded, so perhaps it says something other than Rose Silver? Rose Siever maybe? It is also marked with a faded mark that looks like a "3" so I don't know if that helps. Thank you!

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Rose Silver Co. Quadruple Teapot

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums.

Best info I can find on the 'Rose Silver Co.' is a 1922 article from the Jewelers' Circular - kind of interesting story...

~Cheryl

Midwest Barn

Post by Midwest Barn »

Wow! Thank you so much for that article! That is certainly an interesting history. Upon closer inspection, this teapot definitely looks cobbled together with different parts. I wonder if Harry Rose put it together for fraudulent purposes. It makes for a great story!

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Don't believe Harry Rose manufactured anything, appears he procured his merchandise from various small manufacturers and jobbers, who he neglected to pay, and it was not of particularly good quality, making his customers unhappy too. Your close-up of the handle shows what appears to be an old poorly done repair, and the 'QUADRUPLE' mark insinuates a very heavy plating, but it was so often used on pieces with inferior plating that most of the major manufacturers had stopped using that term by the early 20th century. In the 1920s, the Federal Trade Commission dealt with numerous complaints regarding low quality 'Quadruple Plate', ordering companies to cease use of the term on items with low quality plating (Benedict Mfg. Co., mentioned in this article, was one of those companies told to 'cease and desist') - but I've seen items and advertising using the term dating well into the mid 20th century...

~Cheryl

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”