Need help ASAP! Silver 800 mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ssharktu17

Need help ASAP! Silver 800 mark

Post by Ssharktu17 »

Hello just purchased this set as 800 silver but not sure if it is real. It is AMZ crown 800 I can’t find any history on it.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/t7fV3iW
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Need help ASAP! Silver 800 mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
Ssharktu17

Post by Ssharktu17 »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
Thanks you! Can you tell me how? Do I have to upload them to a 3rd party site first? I don’t see an option to just upload images.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes you have to use the service of an image hosting site. For information see;

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199
Peter.
Ssharktu17

Post by Ssharktu17 »

Ssharktu17

Post by Ssharktu17 »

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi,

The bad news is that your set appears to be a circa 1950's -1960's Italian made diecast alloy, thinly silver plated with 800 grade silver. These come onto the market regularly here in Australia as they were brought over with the many Italians who immigrated during the 1950's and 60's and who are now at an age where they are downsizing or have passed on. There was apparently a loophole in the Italian legislation during this period that allowed the practice of manufacturers marking silver plated items with the grade of silver in which they were plated which of course was/is very confusing.
Telltale signs are the one piece cast knives, close examination of the edges of the fork tines and spoons usually showns excess casting material under the silver plate and finally the 800 mark which rather than being stamped into the metal, is completely raised as it is part of the casting.

If not well looked after, there is often signs of corrosion and pitting of the alloy plus being diecast, they are very brittle and prone to tines and knives snapping off rather than bending if mistreated.

Steve
Ssharktu17

Post by Ssharktu17 »

SteveDWollongong wrote:Hi,

The bad news is that your set appears to be a circa 1950's -1960's Italian made diecast alloy, thinly silver plated with 800 grade silver. These come onto the market regularly here in Australia as they were brought over with the many Italians who immigrated during the 1950's and 60's and who are now at an age where they are downsizing or have passed on. There was apparently a loophole in the Italian legislation during this period that allowed the practice of manufacturers marking silver plated items with the grade of silver in which they were plated which of course was/is very confusing.
Telltale signs are the one piece cast knives, close examination of the edges of the fork tines and spoons usually showns excess casting material under the silver plate and finally the 800 mark which rather than being stamped into the metal, is completely raised as it is part of the casting.

If not well looked after, there is often signs of corrosion and pitting of the alloy plus being diecast, they are very brittle and prone to tines and knives snapping off rather than bending if mistreated.

Steve
Thank you so much! thats exactly what I thought upon further research. I knew the deal was too good to be true. Thank you for the write up this is very useful information.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

New lead? Souvenir spoon for Interlaken (town/mountain scenic enamel badge) carries stamped marks for AMZ 800. Maker's initials contained within horizontal diamond having bubbles/circles clustered at top and bottom with intials crossing centerline on bar. Swiss origin? Photos will be taken for reference.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”