Victory Silver belt buckle by Wolverine?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mhmorningstar

Victory Silver belt buckle by Wolverine?

Post by mhmorningstar »

Hello,
I've got an antique Masonic belt buckle that is marked "Victory Silver" and the name Wolverine. I've never seen silverplate marked as Victory Silver before. Is anyone else familiar with this? When I found it I thought I read "Victor Silver" which would have made sense, but the mark clearly says Victory. I'm also having trouble finding out anything on Wolverine. All my searches turn up X-men comic related materials!
Traintime
contributor

Re: Victory Silver belt buckle by Wolverine?

Post by Traintime »

Possibly Wolverine Brass Works...catalog E indicates specialties & leather goods, beyond their plumbing related wares: https://www.grpl.org/uploads/grhsc/170.pdf

Ceased in 1986, but might be the same company that did later-ear buckles simply marked "W" (Western themes, railroads, vintage autos, etc.). Perhaps Victory Silver is a wartime emergency substitute to save on controlled vital materials. A patent for buckles might read as "a fastening device" in the description?
Traintime
contributor

Re: Victory Silver belt buckle by Wolverine?

Post by Traintime »

It appears the simple "W" mark (sometimes with USA) can be attributed to Wilton Brass Works (see Oldcopper.org site) and is traceable through buckles and other items made by Wilton-Armitale (the aluminum alloy they produced from 1963-on)...looks like brass, pewter, polished aluminum (?), and Armitale may be the range of metals they used, with no indication of any silver or gold employed either solid or plated.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”