Nuttin' but Struttin'

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Nuttin' but Struttin'

Post by Traintime »

Okay, maybe doesn't belong here. But it was so shiny I just had to take Goldilocks spoon and find out about this Chicken in the Rough mark. Big Bird is noodling leftward, probably trying to evade Colonel Sanders. He's followed by a "68" in a rectangle. Not sure if this was a brass base once plated, a white metal coated in a gold overlay, or another one of those fake gold solid metal alloys they played with. If you try to convince me it's a French gold mark, I'll have you breaded and seasoned and sold in a paper bucket. TIA

Traintime
contributor

Re: Nuttin' but Struttin'

Post by Traintime »

Solid one piece metal casting or blank (sheet punch). Filing marks visible, but gold color fills all spaces.
Search ref.: "cockerel" "un coq" "le coq" "rooster", and just in case "peacock" all [in rectangle] [in square] {"Number 68", "No. 68", "#68"}

Given that this could be a partial of a plater's mark, some Gallia marks showing difference in both of these left birds with raised foot: http://www.ascasonline.org/windowottob77.html

All very trying since only reference found for use of the number 68 is a French Bureaux (Office) listing regarding assayance of precious metal.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Would the same European grams standards in silverplate marks be used in gold plating, thus 68g here? If so, what would the accepted quality standard of the gold be?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

One ref. that includes number marks for gold plate in the same manner as silver: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=51493&p=159837&hil ... ks#p159837
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Yet another variant of bad bird marks suspected of being Gallic Cock forms but lacking full extra marks for Gallia: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45608&p=133419&hil ... te#p133419

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”