BB&S * Mark on piece

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

BB&S * Mark on piece

Post by hpidaves »

I have a set of 4 knives that I believe are silver plated (not sure). They have a hollow handle and plated blade, with scrollwork on the blade. The maker's mark is on the blade amongst the scrollwork, so a little tough to read. I believe it reads in script lettering:

B B & unknown *

That's a "B", then another "B", the "and" symbol -- "&", an unknown letter, and finally an asterisk "*"

I have searched high and low for this mark, but have had no luck.

Thanks!

MsJMoody
contributor

Re: BB&S * Mark on piece

Post by MsJMoody »

Do you have a better photo of the makers mark?
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

I'm afraid this is the best I have. I took many photos of the best of the four knives. All marks are very worn.

Thanks.
MsJMoody
contributor

Post by MsJMoody »

Okay no worries, the best I can come up with is B.B & B Co. that has been worn away which would be Bailey, Banks & Biddle Company. See http://www.chineseargent.com/home/maker-b-1 for their bb&b co mark. They did hollow flatware. Other than that I am at a loss without a better picture.
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

I was going through some of my past unknowns and came across these again. I thought I would try to revive the search by posting new, and possibly better, photos. The last 3 photos were taken through a 10x microscope. I always thought the first two letters were B's, but on closer inspection they do not appear to be the same letter -- notice the left side of each letter is different. Any help is greatly appreciated -- this one's been bothering me for over a year.

Regards,
Dave
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think that what you have there is HB&H - Harrison Brothers & Howson of Sheffield. There is what appears to be an identical mark here: https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_H.html.

Phil
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

That would certainly appear to be it!

Thanks so much!

Dave

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”