Help identify this Reed & Barton makers mark on a beautiful Hummingbird/Owl/Crane/Butterfly/Flower motif bride's basket

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WolfFrog

Help identify this Reed & Barton makers mark on a beautiful Hummingbird/Owl/Crane/Butterfly/Flower motif bride's basket

Post by WolfFrog »

I don't buy much silver plated stuff but this brides basket was just too beautiful and unique to leave at the thrift store. I searched forever and could not find another like it anywhere online. I found some really interesting ones but in my opinion mine is the best looking one out there. The whole bird motif is incredible. It was suggested this is from the aesthetic movement period and possibly from around 1880. This was based on the design and not on the old Reed & Barton mark. I cannot find this R&B mark anywhere in reference material I found online. It appears to read "M. Reed & F. or E. Barton". Those are not the first initials of the founders of the company. If anyone can help date this that would be great. I would also love to know the name of the pattern or see if there are any other known examples of this pattern or basket if anyone can help with that. Thanks!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Help identify this Reed & Barton makers mark on a beautiful Hummingbird/Owl/Crane/Butterfly/Flower motif bride's bas

Post by Traintime »

M. for Messers.? Other middle marks might be pseudos rather than letters? Anything relating to attempted business in England?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Help identify this Reed & Barton makers mark on a beautiful Hummingbird/Owl/Crane/Butterfly/Flower motif bride's bas

Post by dragonflywink »

It's 'W,REED & E.BARTON' - Edward Barton, son of Charles Barton of Reed & Barton, and his brother-in-law, Waldo Reed (apparently no family connection to Henry Reed), formed 'Reed, Barton & Co.' in 1886; both firms were based in Taunton, MA. There were legal issues, but eventually, Reed & Barton bought out Reed, Barton & Co. in 1892...

~Cheryl

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”