Old Sheffield Plate planter?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
historydetective

Old Sheffield Plate planter?

Post by historydetective »

I have what I think is an Old Sheffield Plate planter. Image It's 7" tall by 9" long by 6 and 7/8" wide. The marks are just below the top rim. The marks look like close-plating marks on early candle snuffers/wick trimmers. Image Questions: 1. Do you recognize the maker, and if not, what is the date as suggested by the style? Image 2. Is there any doubt it's OSP? The inside is characteristically tinned. Image Image I have included several pictures of seams where this piece was soldered or joined together. Image 3. Why is the animal mask brass underneath? I thought such OSP ornaments were made of a thin shell of solid silver that was then filled with lead. I did find the following quote from the Wikipedia article about OSP: "During the 1840–50 period, hybrid articles such as sugar bowls were produced with the body being Old Sheffield, while complicated small parts, such as the feet and handles, made from electroplate. These are rare and seldom recognized." 4. The decoration on the base doesn't seem as organic as the upper part; is the decoration on the base hand chased? 5. Why no monograms? There haven't been any removals, either. Image 6. Did it ever have a detachable rim? The last pic shows a very similar OSP piece with a rim that is characteristic of those on monteiths.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Old Sheffield Plate planter?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Can you post a sharp close-up of the marks?

Trev.
historydetective

Post by historydetective »

Dognose, I was so excited when I saw you replied, and then my heart sank: the picture of the marks is clearer and more discernible than one can accomplish even in person with a loupe. My sister took the picture with an iPhone 8, and I was surprised it revealed so much detail. I don't think anyone could do better photographing the marks. I've heard using the iPhone 8 and taking the picture through a magnifying lens might be a step better, but I spent hours and called in favors to get these pictures and this posting accomplished. Can you tell if this piece is OSP? Thank you for looking at it, Dognose!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I only wish I could add something, but at the moment I do not recognise the marks as I see them.

Identifying something as OSP is difficult, at best, from photos alone, but I'll see if I can find anything similar.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”