Need help with spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
john parker

Need help with spoons

Post by john parker »

I have six silver tea spoons passed down by/through my grandmother who has been deceased for many years. Where they came from I have no idea, but tradition holds that there were originally twelve. If it is of any help, she was on English extraction, but was born in the States. I am going to attempt to post the poor pictures that I have below. However, to help describe what I hope you are going to see on the back of each spoon is the letter A in a cartouche, followed by the letters H.B in a cartouche, followed by the letter S in a cartouche, and finally by the stick figure of a wheelbarrow in a cartouche.

Hope the photos come through. Thank you for your help, John
john parker

Why the Move?

Post by john parker »

Curious about who/why my post was moved to silverplate. They look to me like they are solid silver. Happy for any info. Thank you, John
Kit

Post by Kit »

John, I'm supposing that because the spoon has no marks for silver, such as "Sterling" or "925," your post was moved to a forum where it's likely to reach the appropriately knowledgeable responders.
Kit.
john parker

spoons

Post by john parker »

Thanks for the thought, Kit. Thought from looking at other areas of the forum that the "S" was suppose to indicate silver. At any rate, from the wear on other of the spoons, I am sure they are solid, not plated. Kind of wondered if this section, silverplate, maybe also meant silver plate (as in a plate of silver instead of coin). Thanks, John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They may be coin, but I think these are more likely to be silverplate marks. In any event, if they are coin, someone will point it out and the post will go to the appropriate category.

Regards, Tom
john parker

Post by john parker »

Having looked in Kovel's book on marks, could "H.B" be Henry Barrow; hence the wheelbarrow or barrow mark? Kovel has the name, but no marks whatsoever for Henry Barrow. Only info is New York circa 1850. Thanks, John
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

My refernces show a Henry Barrow from New York City (c. 1833-1841), but they don't show a mark.

I don't think this is his mark or even an American coin silver mark. Before 1860 in America they just didn't have that style of stick figure mark on them. You might find pseudo British marks, but nothing like this.

I think one reason your post was moved here was the first mark, the letter A. You often see an A or A1 preceding a set of American or British silverplate marks. This refered to the quality or thickness of the silverplate.

I've checked both my silverplate and sterling silver references and came up empty. I'm stumped.

Pat.
john parker

Post by john parker »

Thank you Pat! Your answer satisfies my curiosity about the silverplate thing. Did ask a jeweler about testing for silver, but he said only destructive testing could be done. Any suggestions about where I could hunt next? Or would the best thing be to just wait? Thanks, John
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello John, wish I could have helped more.
For what it's worth, my first idea when I saw those marks was a Scandinavian country. Checked my limited references in that area also, but no luck.
We get new members here all the time, from around the world, with a wealth of silver knowledge. You just never know when someone will come up with the answer.

Regards,
Pat.
john parker

Post by john parker »

It's been almost two years since posting this. Asking again in case (1) this post pushes the thread back up towards the top and (2) somebody has any information on these marks.
Thanks, John
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I would guess that we are in Finland.
City mark (1 weeled vagon - dont know english word for this trillebør (danish name)) look like the marks they use in finland.
But thats all that i can give of information.
Traintime
contributor

Re: Need help with spoons

Post by Traintime »

Anyone want to give this another shot?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Need help with spoons

Post by dognose »

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”