Believed to be Gorham? Looking for confirmation and details.

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Taketheword

Believed to be Gorham? Looking for confirmation and details.

Post by Taketheword »

Hello,
First time poster here. I am rather inexperienced when it comes to silver, but have taken recent interest in collecting it for personal use.

I have what I believe to be a tea strainer, although I am not 100% sure of this due to the seemingly small size of the straining "bowl".

I also believe this to be Gorham due to the hallmark (seeming to be lion, anchor, G), but I cannot confirm this either. Assuming it is Gorham, does anyone have any idea as to what pattern this would be? I have gone through an extensive list of Gorham patterns and cannot find this anywhere. Perhaps it is not part of a pattern set? Not being able to nail down the pattern is what is making me unsure of its manufacturer.

To sum up, I am mostly asking these two questions: Is it a tea strainer, as I believe it to be? Is it Gorham, and if so, does it belong to a pattern?

Pics here...

Thank you!
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Believed to be Gorham? Looking for confirmation and details.

Post by legrandmogol »

Definitely Gorham, date mark for 1894 as well. Possibly a tea strainer but probably a sugar sifter. Pieces with designs like this almost never have a name for the pattern, usually just a number. This particular pattern may have only existed as a sugar sifter.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

See: https://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html

Trev.
Taketheword

Post by Taketheword »

legrandmogol wrote:Definitely Gorham, date mark for 1894 as well. Possibly a tea strainer but probably a sugar sifter. Pieces with designs like this almost never have a name for the pattern, usually just a number. This particular pattern may have only existed as a sugar sifter.
I cannot believe I didn't make that connection. I checked the charts and noticed that symbol but somehow assumed it was unrelated. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Does anyone else have any ideas on tea strainer vs sugar sifter? Sugar sifter was my second thought as to what it could be.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Welcome - noting the size is helpful in identifying an item's purpose...

~Cheryl
Taketheword

Post by Taketheword »

dragonflywink wrote:Welcome - noting the size is helpful in identifying an item's purpose...

~Cheryl
It is 6 1/2" overall. The "bowl" has a diameter of 2 3/16". What makes me question it being a tea strainer is that it has no substantial lip or opposite handle to allow it to be rested on a teacup. It would have to be held while pouring to be used for that purpose.
Taketheword

Post by Taketheword »

After looking at it some more, I noticed the handle had been bent flat with the "bowl". I corrected it to where it looked to be originally. So now the handle goes at a moderate angle to the "bowl". That makes it seem clear that it's a sugar sifter. Thank you for the help here.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”