SCS Co Makers mark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
flk111again

SCS Co Makers mark

Post by flk111again »

Does anyone have information on a US silversmith that uses the mark "SCS Co"?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: SCS Co Makers mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.tinypic.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
flk111again

SCS Co Any Information

Post by flk111again »

Image]

Does anyone have any information on this maker?
I have done research on all the hallmark and makers mark sites I can find and have come up blank.
I am hoping someone on here has seen this mark and may be able to enlighten me.
flk111again

Post by flk111again »

I am still looking for any information on this maker.
I just can't believe there are no references that I can find for a US maker of sterling. I have found other pieces made by this company, but it seems they made a lot of small things such as these shakers.
I have seen references to Schofield and Stieff as possible makers, but none of their marks even resemble the ones on these.
I would be happy to find out what era they were made in.
Thanks to all that have looked. I will post if I find anything.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ I have a set of very similar shakers, though mine are just marked 'Sterling', as are a good number of the simple lightweight little shakers. Sterling and sterling-topped individual salt & pepper shakers, of varying quality, were very popular and sold, in pairs and sets, at most department stores and jewelers from the 1920s-'60s, though available a bit earlier and, of course, later. As for the maker, there are numerous unidentified silver manufacturers, records may be found at some point, hard to tell - but believe you can safely assume that these were not made by Schofield, Stieff, or any other major manufacturer. Have handled a number of pieces by this company over the years, can't recall anything other than a couple of different design shakers and salt cellars, along with shakers apparently factory-modified into tea-balls - suggesting that they were a small specialty jobber (information may turn up, but will probably take longer than a day).

I have a number of old ads for shakers in my files, including at least one showing a paneled design similar to yours (they were made in both plain and hammered), will hunt it up later and post...

~Cheryl
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

1941 ad:

~Cheryl
flk111again

Post by flk111again »

Cheryl,
Thank you for the information. It seems this type of shaker was quite common at one time, as I have found many listings at all kinds of prices.
I will quit beating my head on the wall over this and move on to something productive. Perhaps more information will crop up over time. Sometimes I just seem to get stuck on something and spend more time researching an item than it is really worth.
Thanks again,
Frank
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The likely match for Cheryl's 1941 advert., six of each S & P carrying same design and only "STERLING" mark across centers.

silverly

Post by silverly »

Silvercraft Specialty Co Inc New York, NY "S. C. S. Co." dealt in sterling silver goods in 1925. In 1928 the Silvercraft Specialty Company took a space in the building at 307 Fifth Avenue. That's all I have for now, but hopefully, it's a start.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Nice. After seeing one of the boxes online I immediately suspected a New York sales organization. Wasted about two hours checking variations of names for NY corps, but found other info. to forward to someone who will make good use for their endeavours.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Interesting....Rainwater displayed a "SILVERCRAFT" (serifs) mark for the Boston based Silvercraft Co. Inc.. All of the "SILVERCRAFT STERLING" items on eBay used sans-serif lettering for both words...except, in one case the knives of a set have sans-serif "STERLING" marks on the blade (no maker mark) and the box actually uses the serif lettering that would match Rainwater's mark. [You will notice the lower group of shakers use the serif letters for "STERLING", while the upper set spells all words in sans-serif. Yet we know they are of the same basic panels design.] It would seem that all of these items might be related to the one firm, with the added possibility that Silvercraft Specialties Company might be the early incarnation of the marketing address, if not also the production facility. Nothing is conclusive yet, but it is notable that Rainwater could not take the Boston firm back any earlier than a 1950 JC-K listing. If the items are all related, the 1941 advert. says there must be an earlier history to the firm.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

By the time of Ted Arnold Ltd. vs. Silvercraft Co., Inc. (1966 NYSD), Silvercraft is listed as an "importer and distributor of gifts and novelties". No mention of any domestic production activity. Rainwater noted that it was "now" owned by Raimond Silver Manufacturers.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Per Securities & Exchange Commission, as of 1967, Silvercraft Co. Inc. (Boston) under the control of Chadwick-miller Inc. (Boston) https://www.sec.gov/news/digest/1967/dig071367.pdf
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Silvercraft Co. Inc. shown at 168 "A" Street Boston in 1966. (Address held office/warehouse of exclusive waste rubber merchants D. Feinburg Co., NYC/Boston, in 1914.)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Of course, a minor problem! In an earlier edition, Rainwater showed the mark for Silvercraft Co. Inc. in non-serif letters. A somewhat oddball thing, her mark samples match the general title lettering of the book editions (a rare case as she usually showed exacting duplicates of real marks).
silverly

Post by silverly »

In 1931 Silvercraft Specialty Company Inc was a subsidiary of Reich-Ash Corporation.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Not relevant to these sterling products but, a Federal Trade Commission complaint (docket 2024) brought in 1932 against Farber Bros. (NY) for use of name "Silvercraft" on plated wares alleged that they violated regulations (a section 5). Other sources indicate Farber no longer used that name after 1932.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Complete history of Reich-Ash (part 1) up to Silvercraft Specialty (NY) purchase from collectors of compacts: http://collectingvintagecompacts.blogsp ... s-and.html
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Another blog, puts Reich-Ash in the new 307 Fifth building along with Silvercraft as some of the original occupants in 1928 (adjacent to FAOSchwartz site): http://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2 ... venue.html
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Shortly after these entries, I came across another set in their original box. Now I see a similar presentation appeared in the 1927 Sears Roebuck catalog (a reprint from around 1970). Will try to get an image later.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”