Mexico Serving Set Orchids

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samted25

Mexico Serving Set Orchids

Post by samted25 »

Hi All,

I would love some help in identifying this set, I am nearly certain they are Mexican, but am having no luck with the mark after many hours of searching. Any thoughts would be welcome. They are quite heavy and the workmanship seems very nice. I have a spoon and this fork, I guess a salad serving set.

Sorry for bad images of mark, the phone camera is not the best - but it reads 925 Sterling and then looks like a number 7256 and then below is a mark that is either a crown above something or is it the eagle mark upside down.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Mexico Serving Set Orchids

Post by dragonflywink »

Hehe, those are some "bad images"... Nothing to with Mexico, that's the 'crown/B' mark of the Baltimore Sterling Silver Co., later the Stieff Co., the other mark should be '925/STERLING/1000'. Have seen that salad set a couple of times before, it's not a named line pattern - hard to tell from your pic, but if I recall correctly, depicts a bearded iris rather than an orchid, and most likely dates to just a bit before before the company name change in 1904.

American Marks - B-2

~Cheryl
samted25

Post by samted25 »

Wow, Cheryl, and I literally went through every American page yesterday and didn't notice this...truth is the photos are bad but also the mark is badly impressed and there are no ways to make out the B letter below the crown mark. But thanks a million for helping me out, and yes, the pattern could be a bearded iris. Again many thanks! Ted
samted25

Post by samted25 »

Should this thread be moved to the American silver section? I don't know how to do that...
Admin edit; moves are done by admin.
THESTIEFFCOMPANY.COM

Post by THESTIEFFCOMPANY.COM »

Other examples of this same salad serving fork can be found at www.THESTIEFFCOMPANY.COM then look in the rare section. I have several examples of these pieces posted there. They are hand made silver made in the early factory on Cider Alley in Baltimore.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”