TIFFANY & Co. Baby Cup

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

TIFFANY & Co. Baby Cup

Post by AG2012 »

Well known pattern number 23245 after 1947.
WHAT ARE TWO OTHER MARKS?
Also, a kokoshnik with letter M.
Thanks for looking.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: TIFFANY & Co. Baby Cup

Post by dognose »

Hi AG2012,

You are posting excellent images, but please keep them within the 7" (18cm) guidelines, otherwise viewers with smaller monitors cannot see the whole image.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Excuse me,please.Terribly sorry.Had no idea, really.Will keep that in mind;whenever a picture was accepted in ``preview`` I thought it was OK to submit it.
Regards
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Not really up on recent Tiffany marks, but am a bit bothered by these, even aside from the very odd presence of the pineapple, wheel, and modern Russian 925. That cup has been produced for decades and can have varied marks - does seem to me that they've only been using the copyright symbol on some items for maybe the last 15-20 years and can't recall seeing it on a holloware piece like this, also find the presence of 'MAKERS' and the pattern number odd when paired with what would be a very recent mark, especially when the typical 'STERLING' mark is absent, even the plain '925' seems out of sync, though I've seen it on some recent pieces, most often on Italian-made Tiffany. Just really seems not-quite-right to my eye...

~Cheryl
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I have to agree with Cheryl... these marks do not look right. To the best of my knowledge Tiffany does not make any silver in Russia. That "Tiffany & Co." is fairly modern and would have the word "Sterling" on the same punch. The "Makers" is out of alignment, and something I have yet to come across in all my years. If this were offered to me, I would pass on it.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Thanks a lot for your time; it looks like total confusion with Tiffany in Russia; ``Tiffany to Open Shop in Red Square`` (The Wall Street Journal) ``Tiffany is already sold through several independently owned and operated authorized retailers in Moscow``
New ``kokoshnik`` mark means the cup was assayed at the Moscow central office and taxed. On the other hand, replicas were sold elsewhere, too (jewelry and accessories). God knows what happens now with global economy (e.g. Elsa Peretti and silver made in Italy, Georg Jensen, too). Further confusion with pattern number 23245 — the same cup but different weight — N.B. examples shown here are on sale in USA. Different marks are understandable the cup being made for decades, but weight….
Everything’s fine as far it’s close to scrap value.
Thanks again

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”