J. E. Caldwell & Co. date?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
modemgirlz

J. E. Caldwell & Co. date?

Post by modemgirlz »

Could anyone help me with the date of this cake server? It has an E on it, perhaps it's the pattern letter? Thanks for your help
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/16/silver_273.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/16/silver_271_000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

James Emmett Caldwell. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1839 he started his business as James E. Caldwell. After a couple of name changes the firm became known as J.E. Caldwell & Company in 1848. Around 1860 they became just a retailer of silver instead of a manufacturer. Sometime later they became known as the J.E. Caldwell Company.
modemgirlz

server

Post by modemgirlz »

Patrick, Thanks for your help , this helps me identify the date. I have been trying to find the pattern but not having much luck. I'll keep looking, it's a beautiful server and appears to be quite old. Knowing where it's from I should have better luck. Thanks again for your time and help. Kristina
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

It's the basic Kings pattern, produced by numerous U.S. makers since the 1820s. The sterling mark would most likely date the piece to the 1860s or later and Caldwell was most likely retailer rather than maker. The "E" is probably a weight symbol for "Extra", usually meaning a bit heavier than the lightest weight. Shape isn't really right for a cake server (certainly no reason it couldn't be used for that purpose!), if it's around 10 or 11 inches long, it's most likely a fish knife.

Cheryl ;o)
modemgirlz

server

Post by modemgirlz »

hi dragonflywink,
Thank you so much for your help. Yes, it is a fish server, I meant to say that. You are very kind to help me again. I did find similar patterns that were the kings pattern that looked like this, on the net. So I figured it was just that. I am still learning but I have learned a lot here, ty again for your help.
Kristina

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”