Lion Rampant with Date but Unknown 3rd Mark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Daveyk2

Lion Rampant with Date but Unknown 3rd Mark

Post by Daveyk2 »

Hi all, I'm a noob to this forum and silver topics. I have a small goblet with three stamps plus the word STERLING N 34.

The two stamps on the right appear to be a Lion Rampant and an R in a shield. After doing some research here, my best guest is this is a Glasgow piece, and the date is 1836. Of course, I could be completely off base.

The unknown mark could be a tree or a bird, but the underlying mark (beneath the tarnish and scratches?) could be something totally different. I'm hoping that somebody might recognize this. Thank you! Dave

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Lion Rampant with Date but Unknown 3rd Mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

Not Glasgow, but Taunton, Massachusetts. See Reed and Barton at: http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_R2.html

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=41547

Reed & Barton - Taunton, Mass. - 1895

Trev.
Daveyk2

Post by Daveyk2 »

Fantastic. Thank you! Do you know the significance of "Sterling N 34"? It looks to me like "N34" is the pattern number, but does STERLING mean solid or silverplate? I can't find any reference to a pattern N34.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - it's solid sterling silver, the 'N34' would be a production code, and it's an egg cup rather than goblet...

~Cheryl
Daveyk2

Post by Daveyk2 »

I guess I'll have to boil up an egg and try it out. Also, I'll see if I can find more info about the production code. I noticed on admin edit they have patterns or codes that are a letter and number, but unfortunately there's no info about the manufacture dates. Thanks! -- Dave
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Factory codes are often just random, but Reed & Barton did use date codes on their holloware from 1928-57, though occasionally pieces weren't marked - with this piece's simplicity of design, could be hard to date, but would guess it's most likely from the 1910s-'20s...

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”