Birmingham? Hallmark w/ unknown last symbol

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
btalarczyk

Birmingham? Hallmark w/ unknown last symbol

Post by btalarczyk »

I have a nice set of ashtrays with a sterling stamped rim. The marking look like Birmingham but I can not find anything on the last symbol. Can anyone help with manufacturer and date of this piece?

user701
contributor

Re: Birmingham? Hallmark w/ unknown last symbol

Post by user701 »

These are not English silver, but American, by Gorham

http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

btalarczyk

Post by btalarczyk »

Thank for pointing me to the correct maker! Am I reading the date chart correct? I believe is shows that my ashtrays were made in the last quart of the 19th century (1875-1899) is this correct for the date hallmark?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

It looks that way, the older style of 1880-1900. I have rarely encountered the actual date letter, *( or date symbol), in my Gorham collecting (and research) so don't be alarmed if that date letter (or symbol) is not on the piece. The other numbers are some kind of internal factory code, and they remind me of the number+letter combinations often found on Gotham salt dishes (cellars). Sometimes you will see a series of numbers that correspond to a "pattern number," but this number is always from one to three digits. The letter and numbers on your piece seems more like an internal factory code, not a "pattern number" that would help you identify the pattern name. For instance, I have a spoon with the numbers "67" stamped on it so I go to the pattern index and I find that pattern number "67" looks like a demitasse spoon with a coffee cup on the end and it was made circa 1893. The picture from the Gorham catalogue is in black and white, but I can tell you that this spoon is enameled and in green and white colors because I have this particular spoon.

I'm hypothesizing that your dishes were made in the same division that was producing the salt dishes (aka salt cellars) because I have seen similar numbers on salt dishes, like one letter followed by 4 numbers. This kind of makes sense because both are small sterling silver dishes.

Some of these "ash trays" I have seen more accurately described as "wine glass coasters" so it could be that these are to prevent the wine glass from touching an ornate tablecloth and protecting it from stains and wear.

I am just an amateur enthusiast, and there are others on this website with more experience and more knowledge, so feel free to chime in if I need correction or guidance, sometimes I get confused easily and my eyesight is not very good anymore.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”