Help with Clemens Friedell for Gorham 1905 cup

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
arakhajian

Help with Clemens Friedell for Gorham 1905 cup

Post by arakhajian »

Greetings silver experts. I was curious if anyone out there who is knowledgeable about Gorham silver marks can help me with a bit of a mystery. I recently acquired a couple of silver pieces from an important estate which included a Clemens Friedell Pasadena Sterling tureen that I believe to be part of the important dinner service made for Eddie Maier along with a beautiful three handle Art Nouveau Gorham cup. The Gorham cup has the standard Gorham company mark on the bottom, the horseshoe mark for 1905, and a mysterious letter 'F' with a diamond above it. I know Friedell was employed by Gorham in 1905, and I was curious, particularly because the Friedell tureen was in the same collection, if possibly the 'F' could be a sort of signature for Friedell. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

Much thanks
Ara
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Help with Clemens Friedell for Gorham 1905 cup

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi, Ara ~ welcome to the forums. Have seen this loving cup a number of times over the years, and while attractive, it's a standard factory piece. Friedell was a chaser at Gorham, working on their prestigious hand-wrought Martelé line - doubt he had anything at all to do with this cup. Gorham marks can be eccentric, and the meaning of some are still unknown - have seen some marks that were perhaps journeyman marks on older Gorham, but don't believe this piece would have one, and can't even recall ever seeing a journeyman mark on Martelé pieces...

~Cheryl
arakhajian

Re: Help with Clemens Friedell for Gorham 1905 cup

Post by arakhajian »

Thanks for the great information Cheryl! At least one of the pieces that I acquired was by Friedell, but unfortunately it seems that the Gorham piece isn't. Oh well, guess the 'F' will remain a mystery!

All the best
Ara

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”