Additional info on Harriet Beecher Stowe 1896 spoon, please?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sallyk

Additional info on Harriet Beecher Stowe 1896 spoon, please?

Post by sallyk »

I have an 1896 Harriet Beecher Stowe commemorative spoon in mint condition. Does anyone know whether this is a rarity? I contacted the museum and have some info from online but that's all I've found. Have only seen two other Beecher Stowe spoons for sale recently online and one was damaged.

Many thanks!
Sallyk

silverly

Re: Additional info on Harriet Beecher Stowe 1896 spoon, please?

Post by silverly »

The spoon was patented 27 December 1898 by Isabella Beecher Hooker. William Watrous was one of the witnesses. The patent number is D29866. Unfortunately, I haven't watched the sales of this spoon enough to determine to my own satisfaction that it is rare. As you've already observed, it can be found. In its day, this spoon appears to have been well advertised, so there's likely have been a large number of them manufactured.
silverly

Post by silverly »

D29866 is a design patent.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. It's not rare, have seen a good number of them over the years, produced by Watrous Mfg., period advertising shows it was marketed by Wm. Rogers Mfg. - at the time, William H. Watrous was president of both concerns. It was designed in 1896 by Isabella Beecher Hooker, Harriet Beecher Stowe's half-sister, she applied for a design patent in 1897, it was granted in 1898 (#D29866) and witnessed by William H. Watrous. Can't recall ever seeing this spoon in silverplate or bearing a Wm. Rogers mark, though a post on this old thread seems to insinuate that they exist: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9485

~Cheryl

1897 ad, noting the spoon as 'Sterling Silver, 925-1000 Fine':

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”