gorham picture frame

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kactus 100

gorham picture frame

Post by Kactus 100 »

hi to all
i recently brought this small (its just 3 inches wide) but lovely picture frame - which is marked sterling even if it is gold-ish in colour. The hallmarks aren't very clear, i can make out the gorham and basically half of the date stamp. i have searched the net, and not found anything thing similar. Could anyone tell me any more on this piece? it opens up when the "wiggley-bit" at the back is moved to the side. It has thick glass on both sides of the frame.
thank you ahead of time! - judith
Kactus 100

Re: gorham picture frame

Post by Kactus 100 »

hi again - maybe someone could help me either date the frame or tell me a place i can go online to maybe search for details. I have cleaned the frame up since these photos and found under the "wiggly bit" a number 17 marked into it.
as I said before
any help or advice would be more gratefully received
best regards
Judith
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: gorham picture frame

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi Judith ~ a belated welcome to the forums.

Have been puzzling over this piece, can't shake the feeling that I've seen similar, but just can't seem to dig it out of my memory banks. Not sure it's a picture frame, the glass back seems odd here since there is clearly a front and back, though it's something you might see on perhaps a locket, with a picture on one side and a lock of hair on the other. The base looks like it slides into a bracket on some other piece, with the curlicue part appearing to be a handle to move a steel pin to lock it in place (the catch on the side of the the frame should hold it closed), being slid into something else might explain the wear to the gilding on the base, while it looks to remain in better condition on the rest of the piece. The Gorham mark should date no earlier than the late 1890s, and would guess that this piece dates at least several years into the 20th century, and while 'B' prefixes were used on dresser, desk, and clothing accessories, the 'B' on your piece is oriented differently from the production code and is a bit odd, can't recall seeing one quite like it, with that vertical double-line, it almost looks engraved. Not seeing any date mark, worn or otherwise in your pics (which are excellent), and might mention that it's always a good idea to post any and all marks found on an item.

Not much help here, but it's all I've got...

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”