Flea Market

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jcalado

Flea Market

Post by jcalado »

Hi, i bought these on a flea market, i don't know if i grabbed a bargain or not but that's not the point, i would like to have some more informations about them.
Thank's and congratulations for the fantastic forum you guys have.

jcalado

Re: Flea Market

Post by jcalado »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Made by Meriden Company, Connecticut
Take a look here for more info.
http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_M3.html
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Also, it looks like part of a tea set ::: One is the creamer for milk and the other might be for sugar ::: In rare cases you will find the "waste bowl," which was for the detritus of the tea ceremony such as wet tea leaves and such ::: As far as what is "rare," the waste bowls are the rarest piece of the tea set to find, in my experience at least :::

I assume we can discuss rarity or scarcity, as a general rule, but yes insofar as "current market value" we do not discuss that because each piece of silver we save from the smelter is priceless :::
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums.

Your sugar & cream set may have been part of tea or coffee service, but they were just as likely to have been sold as 2-piece set, still a popular way to market them (pieces of larger sets were usually available separately). By style, your set most likely dates to right around the 1910s-20s, produced by Meriden as an International Silver factory - my Meriden catalogs date well before their move into production of sterling, but the clip below shows a somewhat similar set in a 1916 Wallace catalog (the pricing shows individual price, presentation case price and the total).

~Cheryl

jcalado

Post by jcalado »

Thanks a lot guys that was a really good help.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”