Tiffany & Co Owl Bottle - Help with info & date please

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
nyny1

Tiffany & Co Owl Bottle - Help with info & date please

Post by nyny1 »

Hello

I've just purchased a Tiffany & co scent bottle in the shape of an Owl.

Firstly can someone please confirm this is a genuine hallmark? I know Tiffany had many hallmarks and I know nothing about these.

Secondly it has marks on which I think are import marks? '925' , something that looks like a compass shaped hallmark? and a letter which I think the letter 'Q'

If anyone can help me date this? I think its around 1950 but I'm really not sure. Thank you in advance for any information.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Tiffany & Co Owl Bottle - Help with info & date please

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It was imported to London 1990 (letter Q). British import marks, no sponsor`s mark (meaning, unknown importer).
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

For British import marks take a look here:
http://www.925-1000.com/importmarks.html
nyny1

Post by nyny1 »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
It was imported to London 1990 (letter Q). British import marks, no sponsor`s mark (meaning, unknown importer).
Regards
Thanks for your reply.
If it has import marks would that be an indication of its authenticity? or can any item have a import mark regardless of its authenticity.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Tiffany & Co. has 7 shops (retailers) in London.
The London Assay Office is a reliable institution, probably no sponsor`s mark was required if the item was brought to be assayed by one of Tiffany & Co branches. So, I suppose, it`s genuine Tiffany.
The place of manufacture is another issue with globalized trade and Tiffany silver being made in several countries (e.g. supposedly genuine Tiffany made by Argenteria Galbiati S.r.l., Milano).
Unfortunately, I have no reliable references. Hopefully, USA members of the forum might help with this.
Regards
nyny1

Post by nyny1 »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Tiffany & Co. has 7 shops (retailers) in London.
The London Assay Office is a reliable institution, probably no sponsor`s mark was required if the item was brought to be assayed by one of Tiffany & Co branches. So, I suppose, it`s genuine Tiffany.
The place of manufacture is another issue with globalized trade and Tiffany silver being made in several countries (e.g. supposedly genuine Tiffany made by Argenteria Galbiati S.r.l., Milano).
Unfortunately, I have no reliable references. Hopefully, USA members of the forum might help with this.
Regards
Thanks for this information, you've been very helpful.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Personally, believe the marks are poorly struck for Tiffany, but suppose the manufacturer might have gotten by with it (will say that I can't recall ever seeing Tiffany with the .925 fineness expressed including a decimal point). The import marks are correct for 1990, and it seems to me that the incuse-struck 'T &Co.' is intended to be the sponsor's mark, but the London Tiffany marks I've seen have been struck intaglio - perhaps you could look into whether that mark was registered.

Regarding the dating, while Tiffany offered small perfume flasks for many years, a '925' mark would be unlikely on a mid 20th century piece, it would be marked as 'STERLING', even later pieces, if marked '925' will often also have a 'Sterling' mark. Tiffany did make several novelty scent flasks around the 1980s, and if mine, would be looking for someone who has knowledge of and catalogs from that era to confirm that they did make this piece and when - even better if they are well-informed on genuine marks (online sales descriptions are often mistake filled). Would add that Tiffany is widely faked, everything from current jewelry to antique silver holloware, if the marks and/or construction seem not-quite-right, then it is probably a good idea to investigate...

~Cheryl

The ad below is from 1982, it shows a classic oblong perfume flask, this model was originally made by the Thomae Co., and mid 20th century pieces are found bearing their mark along with the Tiffany marks; the ad also shows a novelty bookmark in the shape of an owl.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”