Los Angeles Souvenir Spoon PAT.APD.FOR

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverly

Los Angeles Souvenir Spoon PAT.APD.FOR

Post by silverly »

Realizing this may be a long shot, does anyone know the designer of manufacturer of this spoon:

Aguest
contributor

Re: Los Angeles Souvenir Spoon PAT.APD.FOR

Post by Aguest »

::: The details on the bowl is extremely sharp, and the sharpness reminds me of the spoons from Montgomery Brothers, unfortunately I sold all my California souvenir spoons in what became known as the Mass Souvenir Spoon Exodus of 2016, so I no longer have a Montgomery Brothers spoon as a reference :::

::: If this is not Montgomery Brothers, perhaps some research will reveal a competitor who was basically "copying" the design of the Angel Spoon, but didn't want to get in trouble for copyright infringement which is possibly why the name was left off the spoon? Or, perhaps a patent really was pending, and just to be on the safe side the manufacturer left their name off the spoon, not sure really :::
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Can't say that I really see any 'copying' of the Montgomery Bros. Los Angeles spoon - other than both depicting angels, they bear little resemblance to each other...

Don't have access to my souvenir spoon books at the moment and can't recall if it appears in any, but did dig through my files for the patent (#D27882), issued Nov. 23, 1897 to Robert Schaezlein of San Francisco, with the text stating that the scroll offered "space for any suitable words", though it seems especially well suited for Los Angeles. Schaezlein opened his business in 1882, and when this piece was designed, the company name would have been Schaezlein & Burridge, later R. Schaezlein & Son. The company is best known from the early 20th century for their silver trophy buckles, etc. - so far as I know they're still in business and still producing buckles.

~Cheryl

silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you Augest. Cheryl you are amazing. Thank you very much. I expected you to have the answer, and in this one instance I was right.
silverly

Post by silverly »

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Got a little choked up there, still miss Pat so much...

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”