Middletown Sterling?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Middletown Sterling?

Post by Aguest »

Since it is extremely difficult to find even a single example of Middletown Sterling Silver, is this an actual hallmark of Middletown Silver Company, of Middletown Connecticut? This company is known as "Middletown Plate Company" and I understand why this is, seeing as how every piece was silver plated or quadruple plated, they must not have made many pieces in sterling silver?

::: I'm trying to upload the object, it is a large bowl which has an inscription as a second-place golf trophy for a country club in 1928 :::
Aguest
contributor

Re: Middletown Sterling?

Post by Aguest »

::: hope these image services keep functioning, preserving these moments in the history of sterling silver :::

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
You will find your mark here:
http://www.925-1000.dk/american-mfg7.htm
They made sterling hollow-ware with ``msc`` mark.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

They were two separate companies, the only connection was that they had mostly the same workforce, one being set up as a kind of workers' co-op following the closure of the other.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=47414

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Thanks very much for the assistance, managed to find one other example of Middletown Sterling Silver and it was a bowl mounted on a stand, a kind of centerpiece, and it was number "12" while my example is number "20", interesting that the only two sterling silver pieces we could find are similar bowl-shapes, it makes one wonder just how much sterling silver was produced by Middletown; even their silver-plated wares were of very good quality!

I always liked the term "hollowware"....

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”