Hallmark Hallmark?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
DCS

Hallmark Hallmark?

Post by DCS »

Hello, my mother bought these 2 pieces many years ago at a garage or estate sale.

I have been unable to find any images online of Hallmark pieces in same pattern or with same mark. The working ends are ferrous steel, strongly attracted to a magnet.

Anything remarkable? Age, etc?

Many thanks!

oel
co-admin

Re: Hallmark Hallmark?

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Carving set with sterling silver filled handles, perhaps (George) Plain pattern and Canadian, not sure. Made around 1900.

Peter
silverly

Post by silverly »

I see that Montgomery Ward sold Hallmark flatware, and it was made by manufacturers of another name. Nothing significant about the pattern or these pieces that know of. Sorry can't add anything else at the moment.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. Your carving set was almost certainly made for the 'Hallmark Stores', a cooperative organized by New York City based United Jewelers who acted as supplier of 'Hallmark' branded goods produced by various companies, including silverware manufacturers (both sterling and silverplate). While they did have a few named flatware patterns, doubt that this one, typical of silver patterns from around the 1910s, was one of those, more likely a limited line of hollow-handle serving pieces. They're pretty well documented as starting up in 1914, but haven't found when the Hallmark brand ended, they were still going strong in the '20s, and believe into the '30s for at least a while. While not shown in Rainwater's Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers, it does show 'Hallmark Silversmiths, Inc.' that merged with 'Hunt Silver Co.' in 1954, noting first mention in a 1917 Saturday Evening Post - believe that was more likely the 'Hallmark Stores', which were advertised fairly often in 1917-18 periodicals. The items I've seen from Hallmark Silversmiths, also New York City based, which often had labels with the firm's name, seem to my eye, more mid 20th century - they usually used a plain stamped sans serif 'HALLMARK STERLING' mark, but also occasionally used a stamp similar to yours, so there may be some connection to the Hallmark Stores...

~Cheryl

This 1917 ad shows a hollow-handle tea infuser spoon in what appears to be the same pattern:

Mark found on their 1918 patented 'Fiesta' pattern:

1917 ad showing their silverplate 'Sheffield Plate' pieces:

Mark found on the pitcher shown in ad above (UJEP=United Jewelers Electro Plate):

1917 ad for the Hallmark Stores showing their stamp:

1917 article regarding the Hallmark brand:
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Same markings noted above as on pitcher was spotted today on a tray...only difference was Hallmark name was not underlined.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”