No Maker But Perhaps Some Clues

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

No Maker But Perhaps Some Clues

Post by Traintime »

Simple mark "Sterling Handle" on lower spine. Engraving reserve only on one side, and name "Dietz" is read with blade facing up and away. Blade reads Mirrorstele, not Mirror Steel. Bad, hasty photo but front design includes hanging fruits. Could it be a German or continental commercial useage (Hotel, gasthaus, etc.), or perhaps an export?

Traintime
contributor

Re: No Maker But Perhaps Some Clues

Post by Traintime »

Solved. Not Germany. Reed & Barton also used "Mirrorstele" mark with their name on blades. This the turns out to be Francis I pattern sterling handle.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The trade mark 'Mirrorstele', if I understand it correctly, was registered by Reed & Barton on the 30th November 1926, to be used on: 'CUTLERY MADE WHOLLY OR PARTIALLY OF BASE METAL-NAMELY, TABLE KNIVES, TABLE FORKS, AND TABLE SERVING PIECES'

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I don't believe it's Francis I.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Reed & Barton - New York - 1908

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I think I'm wrong. I was looking at the back of the handle and hollow handles seem to change the shape of patterns some. Very sorry.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Noticed this phenomenon on a few knives, the handle is not marked with company name; sometimes the handle is only marked "STERLING" +++
Once I had a set of Tiffany knives which were marked on the blade only; the handles had no marks whatsoever which made me suspicious +++
I really am not sure why this happens, but I pay close attention to knifes because every once in awhile the handles are not fully marked +++

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”