Bailey Banks & Biddle Flask

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dazefan

Bailey Banks & Biddle Flask

Post by dazefan »

I have a flask marked "Bailey, Banks & Biddle" and "Sterling" but the back side of has a light yellowing / gold along the edge that will not go away with a silver polishing cloth. I assumed that it was sterling since it was stamped sterling but my boss is wondering if its sterling overlay. I tried to find other flasks by BB&B and I can't find any. I know that Gorham made some flasks for them but the only other mark on the flask is 3 shapes along the rim but there aren't any letters inside of the marks. Sorry that it is not a clear picture of the marks but I couldn't get it to focus.
I found a BB&B sterling silver tray online that had 3 shapes like this but they weren't the same shapes. (it started with a diamond shape).
Can anyone tell me why the discoloration won't go away if it is stamped sterling?
Thank you

juantotree
contributor

Re: Bailey Banks & Biddle Flask

Post by juantotree »

Hi

Maybe the flask was originally gilded and what you are seeing is the remanants of that gilding, just a possibility.

Martin
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ The maker is Dominick & Haff: http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_D.html From the look of the lip and remnants in the crevices of the repousse-work, the flask appears to have originally been gilt, with most all of it worn off now...

~Cheryl
dazefan

Post by dazefan »

Thank you both for your quick replies! Cheryl, I was looking under pictorial marks and couldn’t find those symbols. Thank you so much for finding the hallmark. That will definitely help us!
Mindy

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”