Bright cut spoon- made by roden?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
e.w.

Bright cut spoon- made by roden?

Post by e.w. »

Hi, this is my first time posting, so hopefully I'm doing everything correctly!
I picked up this spoon at a thrift store and am trying to figure it out. I don't know much (anything) about silver, but the brightcut design looked similar to a few older English pieces my mom has collected, so I took a gamble that she would like it.

The marks on the back look like Roden, and the overall shape of the spoon looks like their Old English pattern, but then the ornamentation throws a monkey wrench in the whole business.
Most of the Rodden patterns I've looked at seem to have quite a different aesthetic. The decoration also seems a bit off: not as even/straight/centered as I would expect. I wondered if anyone with more experience can shed some light on whether this is a Roden design/typical of their quality. Is it possible that the decorations were done independently, ie as a practice piece for a jeweler, or have I misidentified the maker? I appreciate any advice!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Bright cut spoon- made by roden?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The attribution is correct.See here:
http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_R3.html

The owner had it engraved (I think)
regards
e.w.

Re: Bright cut spoon- made by roden?

Post by e.w. »

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad to get agreement on the maker. I kept looking at other Roden patterns and second guessing.
All best,

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”