Help ID silver spoon set - possibly Birmingham

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Leen

Help ID silver spoon set - possibly Birmingham

Post by Leen »

Hello, I have been trying to identify a set of 6 silver spoons that have been passed down in my family.
Due to the size and delicate neck of the spoons I have trouble making out the first icon - possibly a simplified anchor?
The second mark looks like the lion, followed by: "STERLING, R2, H ZIMMER.
Any help would be appreciated.
ImageImage
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help ID silver spoon set - possibly Birmingham

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Not Birmingham, but New York. See Whiting Mfg. Co. at:

https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_W4.html

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

If H. Zimmer is the retailer mark (common for Whiting pieces), there was in 1880 New York City directory a Henry Zimmer watchmaker located on Canal Street. Would this make sense for your family history?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Much later...The Jeweler's Circular v.78 issue 2 09 July 1919...."Eastern jewelry men in Seattle recently"..."Harry Deutsch, Henry Zimmer Company" (no location given but all others listed are from are east coast cities...since the next guy was New York they may have grouped them).
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

From American Machinist v.27 28 January 1904 pg.51 under New Corporations...Henry Zimmer & Co., jewelers' machinery, [capitalized @] $50,000, [principals] Henry Zimmer, W.J. Lampert, Samuel Zimmer all New York. Probably more than you wanted to know!
Leen

Post by Leen »

Thank you Traintime!,
Sorry it took so long for my response, I thought maybe I would receive an e-mail notification when my post was replied to - I am new to this forum.

This is very informative and does make sense. My Great Grandfather's brother was J.D. Bergen, president of the Bergen cut glass company. I believe they had a showroom in New York on 38 Murray Street and manufacturing plants in my hometown of Meriden, Connecticut. Bergen often published ads in the Jeweler's Circular as well - they probably all knew each other!

Thank you again

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”