Incredible large Reed and Barton sterling figure!

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gemspring

Incredible large Reed and Barton sterling figure!

Post by gemspring »

Hi folks,

I've recently acquired this exquisite sterling silver figure - the god Mercury holding a speedboat. It is marked "sterling" along with what I believe is the earlier Reed and Barton hallmark. I am hoping to identify the date, and perhaps if anyone has ideas about what may have been the nature of the item; maybe a boat race trophy or exhibition piece?

A few details:
threaded post for mounting to base is broken off
weight is 1085 grams (38.2 oz)
height is 13.25"

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate this forum and database immensely!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Incredible large Reed and Barton sterling figure!

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Just wondering if this could once have been part of a larger trophy:

C.D. Peacock's jewelry store, at State and Adams streets, has an interesting display of the trophies to be given at the American Speed Boat championship second annual water carnival and night pageant, to be held in the basin of Grant Park, August 16 to 24, under the auspices of the Associated Yacht and Power Clubs of America. A huge statue of Neptune and Mercury in silver and bronze, which is said to have cost $5,000, is in the center of the window. Mercury is holding in his outstretched hand a small boat. This trophy is presented by William Wrigley, of Spearmint gum fame. Other trophies are on display presented by William Randolph Hearst, William Hale Thompson. The Hotels Sherman and Brevoort, the Perfecto Cigar Company and George B. Carpenter.

One of the most interesting features of the display is the various knots tied by the apprentices in the U. S. Training Station at Great Lakes, Illinois. Single and double knots, figure eights, knots overhand and Napoleon's bend, are a few of the many difficult examples of the seaman's art in knot tying.

The display next week will be moved to windows at Marshall Field & Company's store, where it will be allowed greater space to show to better advantage the trophies and rope and steel work done by the apprentices. The Neptune and Mercury statue should stand on a huge marble standard, but the latter was so large that it could not be placed in Peacock's window.

Source: Dry Goods Reporter - 26th July 1913

If the original marble plinth was as large and heavy as stated, this may have been the reason why it was parted company with.

Trev.
gemspring

Post by gemspring »

Hi Trev,

Wow, thank you! It seems you found a very pertinent and helpful bit of text. The description of the Mercury trophy certainly matches this piece. It is a shame that he was separated from his partner, Neptune....I wonder if there are any old archived photos of that trophy. I will be spending some more time researching, following this great lead. I am thinking I will need to have a new stand post made, and a new base. I will go with something slightly more modest than the original 'huge marble standard.' ;)

I'll post again if I find something interesting, and check back in case someone else does.

Thanks, so much appreciated,
Ginger
gemspring

Post by gemspring »

Trev,
I found a photo of the trophy, which was called the Wrigley Trophy and won by Baby Reliance II in August 1912. The photo shows the silver Mercury (I feel sure it is the one I have) mounted to a bronze base with Neptune and the Wrigley title. Wonder where that is now?! Anyway, much thanks to you and the forum here for the research success.

Cheers!

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ginger,

I'm glad to hear that we have been of help.

Trev.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”