Identification Letter F in Circle mark Sterling Salt Spoon

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bobandcindy

Identification Letter F in Circle mark Sterling Salt Spoon

Post by bobandcindy »

I came across this beautiful sterling salt spoon and have been unable to identify the maker. I believe it is an American spoon but would appreciate any help in identifying the letter F inside a circle mark. Thank you,

Bob

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Identification Letter F in Circle mark Sterling Salt Spoon

Post by dragonflywink »

French & Franklin - short-lived late 19th century concern out of N. Attleboro, MA...

~Cheryl
bobandcindy

Post by bobandcindy »

Cheryl,

Thank you very much for the swift identification. I very much appreciate your help deciphering the mark. Warm regards,

Bob
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Elton Ira Franklin and his brother-in-law George Washington French were the owners. Franklin died in 1899 at age 52.
silverly

Post by silverly »

wev wrote:George Washington French
If his son George Herbert French who was the informant on his death certificate is to be believed, the name was George William French.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A new line of manufacture has recently been taken up by French & Franklin, of North Attlehorough, in silver filigree, which much resembles and apparently equals the famous delicate Genoese work of that description. The specimens seen by the writer were extremely pretty; a little grand piano two or three inches long but quite perfect in proportion and finish, a tiny street car with windows of real glass, and quite small enough for the most diminutive fairy horse to draw, with chairs, tables and sofas all fit for the use of the daintiest elfin queen, in quaint and beautiful designs. Examples of this nature might be multiplied almost indefinitely, and to none would the variety and number of articles of exquisite design and beautiful workmanship manufactured in the two towns be more of a surprise than to a large number of our inhabitants themselves. One may purchase in many of the leading jewelry and silverware establishments of our cities articles of elegance and price, bearing the trademark of the firm selling them, which were made within the limits of what was so long known as the town of Attleborough.

Source: A Sketch of the History of Attleborough - John Daggett - 1894

Elton Ira Franklin, born December 14,1847, son of William Brown and Maria (Richards) Franklin. Elton I. Franklin was born and resides at North Attleborough, Mass., and is a manufacturer of jewelry.

Source: The Goodwins of Hartford, Connecticut, Descendants of William and Ozias Goodwin - James Junius Goodwin - 1891

Elton I. Franklin was formerly of the firm of E. I. Franklin & Co., composed of Elton I. Franklin and Clarence W. Fisher, c.1889

Trev.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

silverly wrote:
wev wrote:George Washington French
If his son George Herbert French who was the informant on his death certificate is to be believed, the name was George William French.
You are right -- I shouldn't type while chewing gum at the same time -- no ability to edit a post doesn't help either.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”