Unknown Marks on Wristwtch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OV

Unknown Marks on Wristwtch

Post by OV »

I need assistance identifying and understanding the hallmarks on a gold Cartier wristwtch case from the 1930's - 1940's.

The diamond shape has the letters E J on either side of what appears to be an hourglass. I am assuming this is Edmond Jaeger, Cartier's watchmaker during this period.

The forth appears to be a cat or lynx with the number 1 at the top and a G or stylized C in the lower left.

Is this a country mark? If so, what country?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Image[/img]
bortolot

Lynx hallmark

Post by bortolot »

Hi OV,

The lynx hallmark is one that was applied by the Swiss on imported 14k and 18k watch cases. It was first used in 1934. The C signifies that the watch case was assayed at the La Chaux-de-Fonds assay office. You seem to have a very interesting watch. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the case?

Zack
OV

Post by OV »

Dear Zack,

Thanks for the helpful information. You seem to be very knowledgeable.

Was the import mark placed on items imported into Switzerland, or exported to another country? For example, France in this instance?

Was the watch's case manufactured in France or Switzerland?

I will post more images shortly.

Thanks again...

OV
bortolot

Hardly an expert...

Post by bortolot »

Hi OV,

Well I'm hardly an expert- I just have a couple hallmark reference books on my bookshelf! My understanding is that the mark was placed on foreign-made items imported into Switzerland, so you're probably right that the case was manufactured in France. My guess is that the watch was either purchased by someone in Switzerland and had to go through customs, or it was exported to Switzerland by Cartier where it was fitted with a Swiss movement and then redistributed to another country by a Swiss watch wholesale company (my understanding is that a handful of wholeasale companies took care of international distribution and sales for a large number of small watch assemblers / manufacturers). If you are a member of the NAWCC you might want to see if they can shed some light on this.

Zack

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”