Old Claddagh Ring Markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rooster

Old Claddagh Ring Markings

Post by Rooster »

Hi, My name is Ron and I recently dug this claddagh ring while metal detecting here on Long Island.
Could this be an original Richard Joyce ring, or a ring from the Jack Tar folkloric tales that I,ve been reading about?. I know the standard gold was 9k back then but do you think it may be possible Richard Joyce made this ring in Africa with 10k while he was in captivity or someone in Galway produced this ring back in the Jack Tar days?. Does anyone have the original ring or know its whereabouts that Richard gave to his wife to be?
I have been looking at hundreds
of claddaghs and have not yet found anything that looks like this style and
have yet to see one with a crown of this height for the size of the ring. ( ladies). Do you have or know of anyone that has any pictures of the rings or markings of his work? Iv'e read that there are still original rings in museams but I haven't seen any. Iv'e been reading up on how the earlier rings were made and it appears to be a cuttle bone casting.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated
Thanks, Ron p.s. any pictures that resemble
this ring would help. I know it's hard to see in the pictures but the marks are 10K , a diamond shape ,RI and JCY or JCX, or JC with a possible anchor. Thanks again. Ron
ved3n

Re: Old Claddagh Ring Markings

Post by ved3n »

Hi!
I just wanted to show you a picture I found of a ring reminding of yours. Look at this site:

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”