Help with Gold Watch Fob ID Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
marnski

Help with Gold Watch Fob ID Please

Post by marnski »

I recently acquired a gold watch chain with what I think is a fob attached as a pendant. The Fob looks to me to have 'Eastern' or 'Islamic' design elements, and has two hallmarks. I cannot seem to get a good close picture of the marks themselves, but have drawn them as they appear under an engravers microscope. The soft cornered diamond shaped mark clearly has what I think is a date (1917), and a flower or plant of some kind with a central stalk and leaves...and maybe berries underneath. The other mark in non-symetrical in shape and looks most like a fox to me, although it could be a cat with a big mane. The piece measures about an inch and five eighths in length. Any help in identifying this piece would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

collecting.dust

Post by collecting.dust »

The hand symbol is islamic and known as the Hand of Fatima.
If you google this phase you will find out its history - lots of info online.

My book shows a mark it looks rather similar too - This is a cat mark for Tunisia 1905-1917 which fits the date of the other marking - it was stamped on small gold items 375/1000.
I am not 100% on this though - its always difficult working from a drawing rather than the actual mark.

Debbie
collecting.dust

Post by collecting.dust »

Got it - just found the other soft cornered diamond mark - its the reserve mark for precious metals.

Your piece is definitely Tunisian.
marnski

Post by marnski »

WOW!!! Thank you so much. I've had no luck anywhere else... Tunisia, huh.

Can someone help me out with 375/1000? Does that mean 375 parts out of 1000 are gold?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

375/1000 would be the decimal value for 9 karat gold.

Chery ;o)

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”