18 Karat Scottish (?) watch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Lliamh

18 Karat Scottish (?) watch

Post by Lliamh »

Hi. I could use some help with this one. It's been in the family since (allegedly) the 1830s. The marks on the case outer shell are similar to the ones on the inner shell, except the latter are missing a city mark. The outer shell marks are worn, but to me seem to be a three tower castle (Edinburgh?), a crown, an 18, and a capital I. The crown, the 18, and the letter are clearly visible on the inner case. Cheers!

ImageImageImage[/img]
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Could you possibly get a better photo of the left hand set of marks. Perhaps try using your flash as it can sometimes work better on close ups. Best wishes, Mike.
Lliamh

More photos

Post by Lliamh »

These are the best my present equipment will allow, shooting macro with flash. I'll try to borrow a digital SLR to get clearer shots. Failing that, I'll take some film shots with a macro set up. Thanks!

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

The bottom mark looks almost certainly like the Chester town mark but very rubbed. The style of the watch is late 19th to early 20th century so it would appear to have been made in Chester in 1892. Will not be earlier.
The crown is not the Sheffield mark as some assume but is usually found on gold with other town marks as normal marking practice. Best wishes, Mike.
Lliamh

Post by Lliamh »

Thank you for the information. Family legend is wrong then. It was supposed to have been a wedding present from about 1835. Hmm.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”