Unidentified - Wheat or Barley Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
odsey

Unidentified - Wheat or Barley Hallmark

Post by odsey »

I have a very unusual hallmark on a piece of gold filigree jewellery. There are two marks on the piece, both of which occur twice. They're very small, and are both incomplete (yet luckily the two occurrences make up the whole mark). The main mark appears to be a stalk or sheath of wheat or barley, with what I believe is the roman numerals "IV" on the left hand side, and either a '5' or an 'S' on the right hand side.

The mark is tiny, and I've tried to photograph it through a loupe - it's tough to see, so I have done a crude little drawing of what I think it looks like.

The second mark appears to be initials, but I'm having trouble deciphering them.

Thank you for your time!

I've attached more photos here (http://imgur.com/a/Fi6mP#1)

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unidentified - Wheat or Barley Hallmark

Post by dognose »

Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't help too much, but I believe your research should be directed towards the former country of Yugoslavia.

The 'IV' would be the standard, which I think in this case indicates 14ct. The other letter appears, from what I have found so far, to indicate the city of assay.

Hopefully one of our members from that part of the world can offer something more concrete.

Trev.
odsey

Post by odsey »

Thank you so much Trev, I really appreciate your help! I'll see what I can find!
Josh
odsey

Post by odsey »

Hi Trev,
Just wanted to confirm that the wheat mark was indeed from Yugoslavia. I had the piece looked at by some of the top valuers in Australia, and was only able to find one who recognised the marks. I believe they are referred to as 'Grain Marks'. The roman numerals on the left side did indicate purity (I = 950, II = 840, III = 750 and IV = 583), although I'm still unsure what the number or letter on the left hand side means. The valuer also suggested that the other mark could have been an Austrian import mark.

Anyway, I just thought I would say thank you, and share the information in case anyone else needed it!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to update the topic, it is appreciated.

Trev.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”